Matt,

Also recently in the news with both a UK and US spin is

The  http://www.opensourceacademy.gov.uk/solutions/casestudies Open Source
Academy  lists a number of UK and EU sites.  The material is pre-2006, so
the list is probably much longer.

http://www.openforumeurope.org/ Open Forum Europe  is another advocate of
open source in government.  Their
http://osacademy.hosting.amaze.nl:8060/repository/resources/reports/ofe-2008-external-report.pdf
2008 report  (pdf), though short, makes for interesting reading.

Finally, http://delicious.com/tag/plone-site+government returns 32 Plone
sites worldwide that appear to be used in government.

Karl