Offspring of  Thread:
Am 12.07.2010 um 11:23 schrieb Geir Bækholt · Jarn:
[Membership] Should Plone specify GPL 2 as its license?
> Both current options have advantages and disadvantages. Alex Clark
> is right: This is complex stuff, — and it is legal stuff that most
> of us don't like to dig too deeply into the details of.

The digging into legal stuff is complex stuff, but without
documentation you are lost. So I split this off into a separate thread.

Today I stumbled over:

ISO/IEC 19770-1 Software Asset Management Processes

http://www.iso19770.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=30
http://www.iso19770.com/images/stories/documents/iso_iec_19770_a_framework_for_quality_in_sam.pdf

This standard (maybe initiated by the software industry aka Adobe
etc.) aims at companies catching the serious risks:
- beeing sued due to buyware software licence infringement by not
matching payed licences with the install situation.
- not knowing what install to fix if a security issue comes up and
needs action.

As you see in the presentation linked above (and already know) ,
Software Asset Management has serious benefits for everyone using
software. Commercial or OpenSource. Remember the time prior to
buildout etc.

Like the ISO9000ff, ISO/IEC 19770 is not a rule but a guideline how to
document processes related to used software.

CheckOut
Maybe documentation of our  Open Source Licenses involved in an
installed or used infrastructure can learn from this unintentionally.

If buildout can be enhanced to write licence-reports on an install it
could be a good starting point to check the licence state of your
infrastructure.

Marketing activities can promote the documentation quality of the
licence model of the Plone Core.

Matching standards without handcuffs can open doors in the enterprise
market.

Enhancing buildout for these purposes is beyond my scope. Addressing
this topic can be both: "Open pandoras box" or "Another step for FOSS
success".

Armin

--
Armin Carl Stroß-Radschinski, Dipl. Designer
acsr industrialdesign, Landgrafenstraße 32, 53842 Troisdorf, Germany

Telefon +49 (0) 22 41 / 94 69 94, FAX +49 (0) 22 41 / 94 69 96
eMail a.stross-radschin...@acsr.de - http://www.acsr.de
UST. ID Nr: DE154092803 (EU VAT ID)