I'm trying to get a feature merged into Jekyll, a static blog generation
program.  The feature (https://github.com/jekyll/jekyll/pull/5142) adds a
WebSockets server based on EventMachine that will push live reloads to a
user's browser so they can get near real-time previews.

Unfortunately, I'm having a great deal of trouble getting the unit tests to
run in the Jekyll teams' Appveyor CI environment.  The issue I'm
encountering, "Encryption not available on this event-machine", seems due
to the EventMachine gem being installed on Appveyor not being linked to
OpenSSL (Based on the wiki article at
but I am having the hardest time fixing it.

The Appveyor environment I'm using has OpenSSL available (compiled under
both 32 and 64 bit).  My solution was to `gem pristine` the eventmachine
pulled down with bundler and recompile it linked to the OpenSSL directory
like so:

bundle exec gem pristine eventmachine
bundle exec gem install eventmachine --platform ruby --

That did not work and I'm getting the following output:

bundle exec gem install eventmachine --platform ruby --
Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit...
Building native extensions with: '--with-ssl-dir=C:/OpenSSL-Win32'
This could take a while...
Successfully installed eventmachine-
Parsing documentation for eventmachine-
Installing ri documentation for eventmachine-
Done installing documentation for eventmachine after 7 seconds
1 gem installed
ruby --version
ruby 2.3.1p112 (2016-04-26 revision 54768) [i386-mingw32]
gem --version
bundler --version
Bundler version 1.13.3
bash ./script/cibuild
+ ruby -S bundle exec rake TESTOPTS=--profile test
C:/Ruby23/bin/ruby.exe -w -I"lib;lib;test"
"test/**/test_*.rb" --profile
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): Encryption not available on this event-machine

I did not have any luck at all using a `bundle config` command to set
`--with-ssl-dir` so the above method has gotten me farther than anything
else I've tried since at least I see the native extensions being compiled
and I can see the ssl.o file in the `ext` directory.

If anyone has an ideas on how exactly to deal with this linking issue, I
would certainly appreciate some help.  I am pretty much a novice when it
comes to development in a Windows environment.

"EventMachine" group.
to eventmachine+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/eventmachine.