On Thursday, 2016-04-07 at 10:13 +0100, Ruediger Meier wrote:

Hm, my interpretation was wrong. To get meaningful stats you need to set
 shared   xyz    no

Let's try:

AmonLanc:~ # grep shared /etc/nscd.conf
#       shared                  <service> <yes|no>
        shared                  passwd          no
        shared                  group           no
        shared                  hosts           yes
        shared                  services        yes
        shared                  netgroup        yes
AmonLanc:~ #

It can only count stats if accesssed via socket but not if other
processes are reading directly in nscd's memory.

I really wondered about the low hit rates because any process who needs
to convert uids into user names (like ls -l) should use nscd's passwd
table rather than parsing /etc/passwd again and again or even worse
asking the ldap or NIS server. This is IMO the most notable speedup.
host caching is less useful.

Surely ls -l only needs to do this just once per different uid, not once per file?

This is what I have after 10 minutes now
$ nscd -g | grep "hit\|cache:"

After doing two "ls -l":

AmonLanc:~ # nscd -g | grep "hit\|cache:"
passwd cache:
              2  cache hits on positive entries
              0  cache hits on negative entries
              0% cache hit rate
group cache:
              3  cache hits on positive entries
              0  cache hits on negative entries
              0% cache hit rate
hosts cache:
              0  cache hits on positive entries
              0  cache hits on negative entries
              0% cache hit rate
services cache:
              0  cache hits on positive entries
              0  cache hits on negative entries
              0% cache hit rate
netgroup cache:
              0  cache hits on positive entries
              0  cache hits on negative entries
              0% cache hit rate
AmonLanc:~ #

What happens if shared=yes, does it still work, but report fais to say so?

What other effects has shared=no?

- -- Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.
       (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)