Joel:
> It wasn't wishful thinking that allowed them to escape their
> planet's gravity!

hpm:
> Maybe they didn't evolve on a planet.  Cometary clouds have
> vastly more stuff in them than planets do, even if it is a little
> diffuse.

Ok, yes - this is a good idea that I admit I wasn't thinking of.

I've often wondered, for another example, if entities like the sun
could be conscious/aware in a way that we might recognize.

If so, then stars too would probably have a very different idea
about "foundations" than we planetary dwellers do.

But still, I find it almost impossible to imagine that there is
no underlying principle that runs everything.  Maybe I've been
living on the surface too long.

Joel