Tim May wrote:

> The articles, especially those by Marcus Chown, are wildly speculative
> hints at what may be aspects of reality...at least this is how I treat
> them. And what appears to be just idle speculation sometimes is linked
> with things I know to be important (a cover story on the work of Greg
> Chaitin comes to mind...anyone not familiar with Chaitin's work would
> probably think the article was hype, but it contained hints and nuggets
> which might inspire some folks unfamiliar with his work to take a
> closer look.).

Agreed. It was precisely one such story on New Scientist about Max
Tegmark that lead me to this list!

                                                        Cheers

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")