This issue was canvassed under the name "no cul-de-sac conjecture" in
the list. Bruno claims to have proved this conjecture in his modal
world logic. I tried to do this using a more conventional formulation
of QM - it seemed to be related to unitarity of quantum processes -
but I have to say I haven't succeeded in this.

An interesting point was made that black holes exhibit nonunitary
evolution, which has implications for those wishing an exit from
quantum immortality :)

                                        Cheers

Pete Carlton wrote:
> If a large set of Eric-equivalents encounter a really dangerous
> situation, most will not continue, but as long as this assumption holds:
>
>       "(The set of reasonably similar Eric-equivalents) contains
>       (The set of Erics who are unnoticeably different from you) which
> contains
>       (The set of Erics who have a living continuation after event X)
>               which has at least one member."
>
> then you will not experience yourself dying.  I think this is how
> materialism can accomodate QTI.  I do think a better attack on QTI is
> that the final part of the above assumption (the last set has at least
> one member) isn't well-argued for.  Even if these Eric-sets are
> infinite there may not be an Eric who survives, say, the sun exploding;
> just as the infinite set of composite numbers doesn't contain any
> primes.

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")