Stephen

I don't know how to answer you. It is the first time I have heard of Stosszahlansatz. I believe that the world we perceive (that is a small slice of the plenitude, consistent with ourselves) has an infinitesimally small measure compared to the chaos of the whole plenitude. As we proceed with our lives we have the 3rd person experience of increasing entropy. Our (3rd person perception of ) measure keeps increasing as well.

The assymetry of the second law is interesting. On the one hand, entropy appears from a 3rd person perspective to keeps increasing until we "die." Yet the requirement for consistency of the observed world with the observer implies that from a first person perspective, at the moment of "death" we may expect to witness a truly gigantic lowering of the entropy at a univeral scale perhaps equivalent to a reversal of the Big Bang. Measure is also expected to decrease proportionally. The magnitude of this effect depends of course on what kind of "near-death" experience we have and how the "recovery" is made. (eg. to be resussitated after being dead for for one minute requires the lucky presence of a medical team equipped with an elecroshock machine. To be dead for 1000 years would probably requires a major reorganization of the universe only found in the Bible or in science fiction books)

The second law is applicable only to 3rd person experience. When considering first person experience, my guess is that at a universal scale, entropy fluctuates up and down depending on the need of the observer and to remain consistent with the observer. Our constitution implies that most of the time entropy ramps up. Sometimes it steps down. At the scale of the Plenitude entropy is constant.

George

Stephen Paul King wrote:
Daer Bruno and George,

    At the risk of being massively naive, does this idea seem to be related
to the infamous problem of Boltzmann's Stosszahlansatz?

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/spr/1999-02/msg0014388.html
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00001244/01/Winsberg_laws_and__statmech.doc

    My reasoning is that in order to figure out how do define a universal
prior (or probability measure for the initiona conditions that led
inevitably to our common world of experience) we need to understand how to
define a ration of worlds like ours to all possible worlds, or the
computational equivalent: algorithms that generate worlds like ours as a
subset of the collection of all possible algorithms.

Kindest regards,

Stephen