Russell Standish wrote:

You are arguing that it is possible to have an absolute measure for
each observer moment, as well as a relative measure on the transitions
between observer moments. Of course this is correct.

However, the ASSA and the RSSA are more than that. The SS stands for
self sampling, ie the principle that one should reason as though one's
own observer moment were sampled from the A or the R measure
respectively. With the RSSA, only the birth moment is sampled
according to an absolute measure, so it is an elaboration of the
SSA. I'm not sure how compatible the ASSA is with the SSA.

The ASSA and RSSA are incompatible principles, even if both absolute
and relative measures are compatible.

Well, perhaps the problem is that we don't have definite agreement on this list about how these acronyms are defined--for example, Hal Finney gave different definitions on the original "Request for a glossary of acronyms" thread, in his post at http://www.escribe.com/science/theory/m4778.html --

"ASSA - The Absolute Self-Sampling Assumption, which says that you should
consider your next observer-moment to be randomly sampled from among all
observer-moments in the universe.

RSSA - The Relative Self-Sampling Assumption, which says that you should
consider your next observer-moment to be randomly sampled from among all
observer-moments which come immediately after your current observer-moment
and belong to the same observer."

And as I said in my response to that post at http://www.escribe.com/science/theory/m4782.html , I would prefer to define the ASSA in terms of reasoning as if your *current* observer-moment is randomly sampled from the set of all observer-moments, weighted by each observer-moment's absolute probability.

Jesse