rmiller wrote:

Jesse wrote

In reality the molecules in your brain are constantly being recycled--if you believe that the changes that make up memories happen at the synapses, the article at http://www.sci-con.org/articles/20040601.html suggests all the molecules at the synapses are replaced in only 24 hours or so, and also that the entire brain is probably replaced "every other month" or so. So do you think the Eric Cavalcanti of six months ago is dead, and that your memories of having been him are false?

Jesse

All,
Jesse, IMHO, has pointed out the elephant in the room. Is Sheldrake right about "morphic fields" guiding our path through the world-line?

You don't need "morphic fields" to explain the fact that the structure of our brain (and therefore our behavior) remains the same even as the individual molecules get recycled--that's just molecular biology, cells are always using nutrient molecules to build new copies of the same proteins, and meanwhile getting rid of waste molecules from old proteins that have broken down, and the way they do this is well-understood. There's a philosophical mystery here if you believe that consciousness is tied to the particular physical material of your brain as opposed to the pattern of your brain (I'd choose the second option), but I don't think there's any great biological mystery about it.

Jesse