From: Norman Samish
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: Why is there something rather than nothing?

Thanks to all who replied to my question.  This question has bothered me for
years, and I have hopes that some progress can be made towards an answer.

I've heard some interesting concepts, including:
(1) "Numbers must exist, therefore 'something' must exist."
(2) "Something exists because Nothingness cannot non-Exist."

Perhaps the above two are equivalent.

With respect to (1) above, why must numbers exist?

With respect to (2) above, why can't "nothingness" exist?  The trivial answer
is that even "nothing" is "something."  However, I don't think that this
addresses the real question.

A state of pure "NO THING" would forbid even the existence of numbers, or of
empty space, or of an empty set.  It would be non-existence.

Non-existence seems so much simpler than the infinity of things, both material
and immaterial, that surrounds us.  So why are things here?  (I'm grateful that
they are, of course.)

Is this a self-consistent, if unanswerable, question?

Norman