Russell Standish wrote:
This would imply that there exist "islands" of indentity, and having
limited awareness in time and multispace, we can only ever be aware of
one instance from each island, but that might change with technology.

BTW another analogy is the islands of geneflow within biological
species. Within biology, we have such things as ring species, where
two species at a location (eg Britain) cannot interbreed, yet can
interbreed with neighbouring species to the east and west in an
interrupted chain that circumnavigates the pole. (Sorry I may not be
explaining the concept of ring species too well - look up Wikipedia).

In such a case, perhaps "ring identities" such as Jesse Mazer <->
Bruno Marchal do exist - but I'd like to be surer of the analogy. Also
ring species are the exception, not the rule, in Nature.

If we can define an intermediary state common to all species then we will have bridged all the isolated island.
It seems that at the embryonic stage and possibly at the fetus stage, rhe nervous circuitry is so simple that it may be common between all individual of a specie and there are no identity islands. So we could say with near certainty that Bruno Marchal and Jesse Mazer used to be one and the same.
In addition we may assume that embryonic and fetal development allows for a continuous distribution of neurons in the brain rather than in discrete space positions, and an incremental connectivity of the neurons such that any particular  neuron may differ by a single connection. With these assumptions we may infer that there is a continuity in personal identity from anyone to anyone.

George