Russell Standish writes:

> > Is it still correct to say that a computation running on two physical
> > computers (that is, what
> > we think of as physical computers, whatever the underlying reality may be)
> > has almost twice
> > the measure as it would have if it were running on one computer? Otherwise,
> > there would
> > be no point backing up anything, relying instead on Platonia's infinite
> > hard disk.
> >
> > Stathis Papaioannou
>
> It does not change the measure of the computation in Platonia. I think
> that is the clear message from COMP. But it does change the measure
> within the "physical" universe that we inhabit.
>
> Backing up things is to improve robustness in the face of noise (or
> equivalently the second law). I don't know of anybody doing it to
> increase measure per se.
>
> On the other hand printing 100 copies of my book is all about
> increasing the measure of my book within our physical universe, and
> not backing it up (5 copies distributed to the main libraries of the
> world would suffice for that!)

By increasing the measure locally in our universe, are you making no
difference, or only a
small amount of difference to the measure overall in Platonia? For example, if
all the matter
in the universe were converted to computers repeatedly calculating "2+2=4"
would that give
"2+2=4" a bit of an edge over "3+3=6" in Platonia? What about the far more
complex
computations underlying human consciousness: my understanding was that the
appearance
of an orderly physical world that goes along with these is not an optional
extra, but a necessary
consequence of the type of computation under consideration. That would mean
that all of the
measure attributed to a conscious moment is in fact tied up in the (apparent)
physical world,
because there are no computations of the required type possible that don't give
the appearance
of a physical world. (If there are, we have to explain why we don't experience
them.) So if you
increase the measure locally by duplicating and running a sentient program, you
are increasing the
measure in Platonia as a whole, since there isn't anywhere else where sentient
programs of the
sort with which we are familiar might be hiding.

Stathis Papaioannou