Nick Prince wrote:
> This is a form of solipsism  - it is difficult to attack it and
> defending it can be similarly time consuming.  I think we have to move
> on and believe there is a better approach – if only to get somewhere
> other than back to the beginning every time.

I think this is wrongheaded.  You doubt that you really assume "things are
how they appear to me" - the Earth appears flat, wood appears solid, and
electrons don't appear at all.  What one does is build, or learn, a model
that fits the world and comports with "how they appear".  I see no reason
not to call this model "reality", recognizing that it is provisional,
because there's no point in speculating about a "really, real reality"
except to suppose there is one so that the model is a model *of* something.

Brent Meeker