Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> Brent Meeker writes:
>>>Saying that there is a material substrate which has certain properties is
>>>just a working
>>>assumption to facilitate thinking about the real world. It may turn out that
>>>if we dig into
>>>quarks very deeply there is nothing "substantial" there at all, but solid
>>>matter will still be
>>>solid matter, because it is defined by its properties, not by some
>>>mysterious raw physical
>>But I don't think we ever have anything but "working assumptions"; so we
>>might as
>>well call our best ones "real"; while keeping in mind we may have to change
> That's just what I meant. If you say, this is *not* just a working
> assumption, there is some
> definite, basic substance called reality over and above what we can observe,
> that is a
> metaphysical statement which can only be based on something akin to religious
> faith.
> Stathis Papaioannou

I put "working assumption" in scare quotes because I think the fact that we can
create models of the world that are successful over a wide domain of phenomena
evidence for an underlying reality.  It's not conclusive evidence, but reality
more than just an assumption.

Brent Meeker

To post to this group, send email to