Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> Peter Jones writes:
> [Stathis Papaioannou]
> [Brent Meeker]
>>> I don't see how assuming consciousness is non-computational solves any of
>>> these conundrums about every object implementing every possible computation.
>> It would mean that every object implementing every possible computation
>> doesn't
>> imply that every object is conscious. Of course, one can also deny that
>> conclusion be regading computation as structural rather than semantic.
> You don't have to go as far as saying that *computation* is structural rather
> than
> semantic. You only need to say that *consciousness* is structural, and hence
> non-computational. That's what some cognitive scientists have done, eg.
> Penrose,
> Searle, Maudlin. Personally, I don't see why there is such a disdain for the
> idea
> that every computation is implemented, including every conscious computation.
> The
> idea is still consistent with all the empirical facts, since we can only
> interact
> with a special subset of computations, implemented on conventional computers
> and
> brains.
> Stathis Papaioannou

Unless you can say what it is about a computation that makes it a unique
to us and what it is about a computation that makes is conscious, then nothing
been gained.  Clearly it is not true that we can interact only with
computations in
brains and computers.  We can interact with pool balls and molecules and
weather and
lots of other things.

Brent Meeker

To post to this group, send email to