Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> Brent Meeker writes:
>
> > > You don't have to go as far as saying that *computation* is structural
> > > rather than
> > > semantic. You only need to say that *consciousness* is structural, and
> > > hence
> > > non-computational. That's what some cognitive scientists have done, eg.
> > > Penrose,
> > > Searle, Maudlin. Personally, I don't see why there is such a disdain for
> > > the idea
> > > that every computation is implemented, including every conscious
> > > computation. The
> > > idea is still consistent with all the empirical facts, since we can only
> > > interact
> > > with a special subset of computations, implemented on conventional
> > > computers and
> > > brains.
> > >
> > > Stathis Papaioannou
> >
> > Unless you can say what it is about a computation that makes it a unique
> > computation
> > to us and what it is about a computation that makes is conscious, then
> > nothing has
> > been gained.  Clearly it is not true that we can interact only with
> > computations in
> > brains and computers.  We can interact with pool balls and molecules and
> > weather and
> > lots of other things.
> >
> > Brent Meeker
>
> The difference between conscious and non-conscious computations is that the
> latter do not need an observer, or an interaction with the environment, to be
> meaningful. Take a very simple physical system like an abacus: you slide 2
> beads to the left, then another 3 beads, count how many beads there are now
> on the left, and the abacus has computed 2+3=5. Next, you look out the
> window, see 2 birds land on a wire, then another 3 birds, count a total of 5
> birds, and the bird-wire system has also computed 2+3=5. Or you observe a
> flock of birds of which 2 are red landing on a tree, and another flock of
> which 3 are red landing on the neighbouring tree, count all the red birds,
> and that system has now computed 2+3=5. Clearly there are countless physical
> systems everywhere computing 2+3=5, but only a small proportion of them are
> interesting: those which are meaningful to an observer. (Whether you say the
> accidental computations are not really worthy of the term "computation", or
> perhap
 s should be called "potential computations", is a matter of taste, and does
not change the facts).

> Now, suppose some more complex variant of 3+2=3 implemented on your abacus
> has consciousness associated with it, which is just one of the tenets of
> computationalism. Some time later, you are walking in the Amazon rain forest
> and notice that
> ****under a certain mapping****

> of birds to beads and trees to wires, the forest is implementing the same
> computation as your abacus was. So if your abacus was conscious, and
> computationalism is true, the tree-bird sytem should also be conscious.

No necessarily, because the mapping is required too. Why should
it still be conscious if no-one is around to make the mapping.

You could say that the potential/actual difference doesn matter,
but the claim that all possibilities exist, is the central
claim of everythingism, and therefor cannot be introduced
as a premise in an argument to support Everythingism without
begging the question.

> Moreover, whereas the 2+3=5 computation is only interesting if someone
> observes it, the conscious computation is just as interesting *to itself*
> whether anyone else is able to observe it or not.

Providing it doesn't need an external mapping.