Brent Meeker:
> Colin Hales wrote:
> >> As far as the internal life of the CPU is
> >>concerned...
> >>the
> >
> >>That's like say whatever it is like to be you, it is at best some waves
> of
> >>chemical
> >>potential.  You don't *know* that the control system is not conscious -
> >>unless you
> >>know what structure or function makes a system conscious.
> >>

> > There is nothing there except wires and electrically noisy hot rocks,
> > plastic and other materials = <stuff>.
> Just like me.  Nothing but proteins and osmotic potentials and ACT and ADP
> = <stuff>.

Well....not quite... The <stuff> you talk about is behaving <stuff>ly. All
except the neurons and astrocytes. They are behaving as 2 things....there is
virtual matter being generated. But this is just my (albeit well-founded,
IMO) prejudice, so if you don't want to believe it then it's all behaving
<stuff>ly and only <stuff>ly.

> >Whatever its consciousness is... it
> > is the consciousness of the <stuff>. The function
> Which function?

WORD, EXCEL, IE.... etc.... If run WORD (in contrast to EXCEL) I think the
noise in the chip might be different... although the ratio of WORD noise to
WINDOWS noise (it is a time slice/event driven operating system, after all)
is hard to know.

> > is an epiphenomenon at the
> > scale of a human user
> Who's the user of my brain?

An implicit/inherent user in the situation of you as a collection of
electromagnetic phenomena extruded from the space you inhabit.

> Brent Meeker
> >that has nothing to do with the experiential qualities
> > of being the computer.
> What are the experiential qualities of being a computer?

At he moment all I can say is a likelihood... that it is not like anything,
ever, because there is no virtual matter being generated. There may be some
associated with the capacitances in the electronics, but until I analyse it
properly I won't know.

 and how can we
> know them?

By sorting out virtual matter.
(see my post on this of a couple of weeks back)
See above.
> Brent Meeker

You do love these odd questions, don't you? :-)

To post to this group, send email to