On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 08:47:04PM -0700, Brent Meeker wrote:
> So that would imply that when predicting states at some fixed finite time in 
> the 
> future there is a smallest, non-zero probability that is realizable.  So if 
> our 
> prediction, using continuum variables as an approximation, indicates a 
> probability 
> lower than this value we should set it to zero??
> Brent Meeker

That is one very common way of mapping continuum models to discrete
variables. Another way is probabilitistic assignment, where a value of
0.3 has a 70% chance of being mapped to 0 and 30% chance of being
mapped to 1. See my paper "Population models with Random
  Embryologies as a Paradigm for Evolution" Complexity International,
  2 (1994).

Of course these two possibilities do not exhaust the space!


*PS: A number of people ask me about the attachment to my email, which
is of type "application/pgp-signature". Don't worry, it is not a
virus. It is an electronic signature, that may be used to verify this
email came from me if you have PGP or GPG installed. Otherwise, you
may safely ignore this attachment.

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]             
Australia                                http://parallel.hpc.unsw.edu.au/rks
            International prefix  +612, Interstate prefix 02

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 

Reply via email to