Lennart Nilsson writes:

> Only atheist have reason to dislike the consequence of comp. Not because they
> would be wrong, but because their belief in "nature" is shown to need an act
> of faith (and atheists hate the very notion of faith).
> Bruno
> That is the most absurd statement so far…

Most theists I know would be aghast at the idea that their precious brain could
be
replaced by a digital computer (they imagine that God in Heaven would not do
anything
so crass as this). Only atheists and agnostics of my acquaintance will even
consider
the implications of computationalism, and even most of them either decide that
it isn't
true or, even if it is true, it's a bad idea. I guess our distant ancestors
would have had the
same attitude towards the idea that humans would one day drive cars and use
computers.

Stathis Papaioannou