Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> On 2/12/07, *Tom Caylor* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>

>      > Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>      >
>      > > Tom Caylor writes:
>      >
>      > >  > > > Brent Meeker
>      > >  > > > "It does not matter now that in a million years nothing
>     we do now
>      > > will matter."
>      > >  > > > --- Thomas Nagel
>      >
>      > >  > > We might like to believe Nagel, but it isn't true.
>      >
>      > >  > > Tom
>      >
>      > >  > That is, it isn't true that in a million years nothing we do
>     now will
>      > >  > matter.
>      >
>      > > Why do you say "we might like to believe Nagel"? Why would
>     anyone want
>      > > it to be the case that nothing we do now will matter in a
>     million years?
>
>     In order to think in terms beyond a few generations, we need a basis
>     for meaning that is more universal than explaining and controlling
>     things in our immediate sphere of "care abouts", like our animal
>     instincts.

But what we care about right now, may include anything we think of - including
how things will be a million years from now, including an abstract principle,
even including a fine point of theology.

>(Such a local basis does not support doing things like
>     sacrificing your life for others even a couple thousand years in the
>     future.)

For the very good reason that one cannot foresee the benefits of such sacrifice
so far in the future.   But people sacrifice for others that they know all the
time.

> But if we reject the ultimate basis, then it feels good to
>     say that it doesn't matter.
>
>     Tom
>

> If we discovered some million year old civilization today I think wonder
> at its achievements, however paltry, would far outweigh dismay at its
> wickedness, however extreme. I'm not sure what the significance of this
> observation is.

I don't think it's true.  My exhibit A is the Aztecs.

Brent Meeker
There is a certain impertinence in allowing oneself
to be burned for an opinion.
        -- Anatole France