Bruno:

thanks for the info. Very educational (although I skip reading Christof's
entire text).
From your excerpt: I have a "2nd question": how about "waves"? they must be
made
of the same 'stuff' as the 'strings', maybe in a lesser number of dimensions.
And let me skip my retrograde series of going through (the) other concepts...
They are all deductions from the (as you put it) primitive material world view,
and its closed model, called "physics".  At the end of my 'skipped' series you
may find 'numbers', I may wish to go further (but cannot?)

Regards

John M
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bruno Marchal
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 10:25 AM
  Subject: Re: String theory and Cellular Automata

  You could be interested by a paper introducing String theory as a syntactical
logical structure by the "other Schmidhuber" (Juergen's brother Christof):

  Here:

  http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0011065

  What are strings made of? The possibility is discussed that strings are
purely mathematical objects, made of logical axioms. More precisely, proofs in
simple logical calculi are represented by graphs that can be interpreted as the
Feynman diagrams of certain large-N field theories. Each vertex represents an
axiom. Strings arise, because these large-N theories are dual to string
theories. These ``logical quantum field theories'' map theorems into the space
of functions of two parameters: N and the coupling constant. Undecidable
theorems might be related to nonperturbative field theory effects.

  This is infinitely better than Wolfram pure classical CA approach which has
no rules for distinguishing 1 and 3 person notion, and so miss the idea of
internal emerging physical laws.