----- Forwarded message from Russell Standish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:18:59 +1000
From: Russell Standish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ricardo Aler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Theory of Nothing

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:53:53AM +0200, Ricardo Aler wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>

> Yes. However, you are trying to derive QM from first principles, so
> it's a little unfair to use experimental results as well :). Also,

No - first principles would say complex measure is more likely than a
real measure. All the experimental results say is that there is no
need to go looking for an extra principle to impose a real measure.

> when counting the number of observers, it seems more natural to use a
> real measure.

Not much of a reason...

> But it would be wonderful if it could be shown that the existence of
> life requires complex measures (which is very likely true).

Its the other way around - the existence of life does not require a
real measure.

> >> Finally, do you think that entanglement is a direct consequence of
> >> your theory of observation?
> >
> >Yes, in that entanglement is a direct consequence of the mathematical
> >formulation of QM, which follows (at least if I'm correct :) ) from my
> >assumptions. However, trying to see how this might be so intuitively
> >without going through the maths route is tough.
>
> Yes, but I mean, does entanglement depend on using a complex measure
> or another extra assumption not directly based on your theory of
> observation (for instance, the correspondence principle is not based
> on your theory of observation either, but on Vic Stenger's Minkowskian
> space argument).

I don't believe entangled states depend on the correspondence
principle, but I have to admit that bread-and-butter QM calculations
are not my usual line of work.

> >Good questions Ricardo. I've taken the liberty of posting this
> >response to the everything-list and to avoid-L, as the points you
> >raise are of general interest.
>
> Yes please. I belonged to the avoid-l many years ago, until I realized
> that I was dedicating more time to it than I should :). I guess Jim
> Humphreys must still be there and converted to atheism :). Say hi to
> Vic Stenger.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Ricardo.
> mailto: "Ricardo Aler Mur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> http://www.uc3m.es/uc3m/dpto/INF/aler

Mathematics

----- End forwarded message -----