Dear Bruno,

> No. But making it precise and searching consequences helps to avoid
> misunderstanding. The comp hyp is really a religious belief: it *is* a
> belief in the fact that you can be reincarnated through a digital
> reconstitution of yourself relatively to some hopefully stable set of
> computational histories (on which you can only bet). So the question is
> not "is comp true"? The question is really: "do you accept your
> daughter marries a computationalist".

Ok, I'm with you :-)

> And my point is only that IF comp is true then the mind body problem is
> reduced into a derivation of physics (the eventually stable physical
> beliefs) from ... addition and multiplication (and there is a gift: it

Why would this only be true in comp?
What I find strange is the following: why do people find "mind"
something strange - why not accept it as something fundamental like
electromagnetism or gravity? (Of course, it is not a force (or is it?))

Many people say a materialist/physicalist attitude fails to explain the
mind. I agree if one remains in a dualist view of the world, but not if
"mind" is accepted as something natural - something which occurs
automatically if certain organizational criteria are met.

> Yes indeed! But then how is it possible to convince someone who does
> not reason correctly, of the advantage of reasoning correctly?
> Answer: by letting him learn the consequences of reasoning incorrectly,
> if he can still learn after!
> Problem: about fundamental questions, this can take millennia, and more

Agreed.

Best,
Günther

--