Le 21-nov.-07, à 19:54, George Levy a écrit :

>  A theory of everyting is sweeping the Physics community.
>

>  The theory by Garrett Lisi is explained in this Wiki entry.
>

>  A simulation of E8 can be found a the New Scientist.
>

>  The Wiki entry on E8 is also interesting.

Thanks, very interesting indeed. Note that the original paper is
accessible from the  New Scientist entry. Not so easy to read (need of
differential geometry, simple groups, etc.
Quite close to the idea of the importance of 24 which I mention
periodically ... :)

Now such work raises the remark, which I don't really want to develop
now, which is that qualifiying "TOE" a theory explaining "only" forces
and particles or field, is implicit physicalism, and we know (by UDA)
that this is incompatible with comp.

Yet I bet Lisi is quite close to the sort of physics derivable by
machine's or number's introspection. Actually, getting physics from so
"few" symmetries is a bit weird (I have to study the paper in detail).
With comp, we have to explain the symmetries *and* the geometry, and
the quantum logic, from the numbers and their possible stable
discourses ... If not, it is not a theory of everything, but just a
classification, a bit like the Mendeleev table classifies atoms without
really explaining. But Lisi's theory seems beautiful indeed ...