2009/1/8 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>:
> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>> 2009/1/7 Abram Demski <abramdem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would not deny causality in such a universe so long as the logical
>>> structure enforces the Life rules (meaning, the next level in the
>>> stack is *always* the next life-tick, it couldn't be something else...
>>> which is true by supposition in the block world).
>>> Perhaps that still counts as a magical requirement for you, though.
>> So if the boards were shuffled, or separated by arbitrary distances,
>> the causality would go and the computation (perhaps a conscious
>> computation) would no longer be implemented? What justification is
>> there for adding this requirement?
>        2 + 2 = 4 is true
>        4 + 2 = 2 is false
> Order counts.

But in a block universe, where each frame contains all of the
information for a particular time, the order is implicit. Arranging
the frames a particular way is only important for an observer outside
of the ensemble, like someone watching a film. Some argue that such a
block universe would lack the special quality that gives rise to
computation, consciousness and all other good things.

Stathis Papaioannou