Le 06-févr.-09, à 12:06, Quentin Anciaux a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> 2009/2/6 russell standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
>>  He also mentions Tegmark's amoeba croaks argument, which is not
>>  actually an argument against QI, but rather a discussion of what QI
>>  might actually mean. Contrary to what some people might think, QI
>>  doesn't predict one would necessarily experience being vastly older
>>  than the rest of the population. It just predicts that we should all
>>  experience a "good innings", and that what happens after that is
>>  rather unpredictable - it may be lapsing into senesence, it may be
>> followed
>>  by rebirth into a different consciousness, it may be a form of
>>  afterlife, or of uploading Singulatarian style.
>
> Well if you are "rebirth" in another consciousness for me it means
> you're dead, so rebirth without memory is equal to real death.

But what if you rebirth with the same consciousness? What if there is
only one consciousness, or one person?

> But if comp is true (hence RSSA) and no cul-de-sac hold,

By definition: in the observable or probability "hypostases". They are
defined by Bp & Dp, given that Gödel's incompleteness makes Bp not
implying Dp "on earth". But BP itself entails there are cul-de-sac
everywhere (cf the realist multiverse, which I have called also the
Papaoiannou multiverse in preceding discussions). That is why we put Dp
(and DDp, and DDDp, etc.). OK it is a bit technical, and we will
probably come back on this.

> then there always exists a continuation of you with your memory... if
> you loose your memory I don't see how it can count as a continuation ?
> neither causaly nor does it shows similarity.

Are you sure about this?
I don't like to much thought experiment involving amnesia, and I have
eliminated them in my publications and/or theses. Yet it is hard to
avoid them in the immortality discussion. Actually I have change my
mind often on this issue: the "truth" is hard to believe here. So let
me propose a thought experiment involving amnesia, and I will  just ask
you a question. Suppose you are read and annihilate in Brussels, and
then reconstituted in 1000 versions. 999 of them are partially amnesic
(some memories have been blocked or suppressed), and one version keeps
its memory. What is your expectation to live the experience of an
amnesic?
Is there a notion of statistically normal immortality?

Bruno