  From: Bruno Marchal
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 10:03 AM
  Subject: Re: The seven step-Mathematical preliminaries 2

  Hi Marty,

  On 05 Jun 2009, at 00:30, m.a. wrote:

    Bruno,
               I don't have dyslexia

  Good news.

    but my keyboard doesn't contain either the UNION symbol or the INTERSECTION
symbol

  Nor do mine!

    (unless I want to go into an INSERT pull down menu every time I use those
symbols).

  Like I have to do too.

    I don't need you to switch to English symbols, but I would like to see the
English equivalents of the symbols you use (so that I can use them).

  I gave them.

    I would also like a reference table defining each term in both your symbols
and their English equivalents which I could look back to when I get confused.

  I suggest you do this by yourself. It is a good exercise and it will help you
not only in the understanding, but in the memorizing. Then you submit it to the
list, and I can verify the understanding.

    Please include examples.

  Up to now, I did it for any notions introduced. Just ask me one or two or
(name your number) examples more in case you have a doubt. If I send too much
posts, and if there are too long, people will dismiss them. try to ask explicit
question, like you did, actually.

    I tend to be somewhat careless when dealing  with very fine distinctions

  This means that a lot of work is awaiting for you. It is normal. Everyone can
understand what I explain, but some have more work to do.

    and may type the wrong symbol while intending to type the correct one.

  That is unimportant. I am used to do typo errors too. One of my favorite book
on self-reference (the one by Smorynski) contains an average of two or three
typo error per page. Of course, once a typo error is found, it is better to
correct it.

    Also, I must admit that the lessons are going too fast for me and are
moving ahead before I've mastered the previous material.

  We have all the time, and up to now I did not proceed without having the
answer of all exercises. You make no faults in the first set of seven exercise,
and that is why I have quickly proceed to the second round. For that one, you
make just one error, + the dismiss of a paragraph on "UNION".  To slow me down
it is enough to tell me things like "I don't understand what you mean by this
or that" and you quote the unclear passage. If you can't do an exercise, just
wait for some other (Kim?) to propose a solution. Or try to guess one and
submit, or just ask. I will not proceed to new matters before I am sure you
grasp all what has been already presented.
  What is possible is that you understand, but fail ti memorize. This will lead
to problems later. So you have to make your own summary and be sure you can
easily revise the definition.

    If I'm requesting too much simplification, please let me know because I'm
quite well adjusted to my math disabilities and won't take offence at all.
Thanks,      marty a.

  I think that there is no problem at all. I am just waiting for explicit
question from the second round. You can ask any question, and slow me down as
much as you want so that we proceed at your own rhythm.
  Don't ask me to slow down in any abstract way. You are the one who have to
slow me down by pointing on what you don't understand in a post.
  take it easy, and take all your time. Don't try to understand the more
advanced replies I give to people who have a bigger baggage.

  You did show me that you have understood the notion of set, and the notion of
intersection of sets. Have you a problem with the notion of union of sets? If
that is the case, just quote the passage of my post that you don't understand,
or the example that I gave, and I will explain. Try to keep those post in some
well ranged place so as to re-access them easily.

  I ask this to Kim too, and any one interested: just let me know what you
don't understand, so that I can explain, give other examples, etc.

  Take it easy, you seem quite good, you suffer just of a problem of
familiarity with notations. You read the post too quickly, I suspect also.

  Are you OK? I can understand you could be afraid of the amount of work, but
given that we have all the time, there is no exams, nor deadline, I am not sure
there is any problem. Of course, things of life (like holidays, taxes, etc.)
can slow us down too, but this is not a real problem. Of course you can realize
you don't want really to learn all this: in that case you tell me, and we can
stop, or make a pause, etc.

  I choose the path (given that the goal is given: explaining the real stuff in
the UDA-step seven), and you can accelerate me, slow me down, halt, etc. as you
wish. OK?

  Just tell me if you have a problem with the two statements quoted below. I
think we could make post with fewer examples, and fewer exercises, perhaps.
Don't be ashamed by any question you want to ask. There is no shame in
questioning anything.

      Examples
      {1, 2, 3} ∩  {3, 4, 5} = {3}
      {1, 2, 3} ∪  {3, 4, 5} = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}