Jason Resch wrote:
> Described in this article:
> http://www.bioedonline.org/news/news.cfm?art=2617
>
> "This summation of all paths, proposed in the 1960s by physicist
> Richard Feynman and others, is the only way to explain some of the
> bizarre properties of quantum particles, such as their apparent
> ability to be in two places at once. The key point is that not all
> paths contribute equally to the photon's behaviour: the straight-line
> trajectory dominates over the indirect ones.
>
> Hertog argues that the same must be true of the path through time that
> took the Universe into its current state. We must regard it as a sum
> over all possible histories."

So we "must", must we?

A mathematical construction by humans, happens to cohere to some extent
with reality.
A mere description.

A million other descriptions, also constructed by humans, could be as
predictive of how the universe appears.

What extra belief system must exist in order that someone conclude that
we 'must' chose a "sum of all histories" as "the" story? Why is the
universe compelled to be such a thing?

Rhetorical question...don't answer. Just think.

happy new year, everythingers.

cheers
colin