Happy NewYear, Colin,

you just came up shy from the notion that all this is a part of the
anthropocentric maze.
Physicists' hegemnony over (scientific?) thinking is embedded into the
math-maze of numbers and this, too, may be a human invention (according to
D. Bohm). So all the 'stories' and conclusions (including Russell's
'Occamistic simplification') are products of the human mind - not a 'MUST
believe' for the existence we are part of.
All is included in your 'perceived reality' we have access to.
We are handicapped into our human limitations, tacitly we should accept
that.
Of course we cannot step out of our borders, but as a consequence of
thinking 'human' we should be cautious when drawing ALL_generalized
conclusions.
We don't know 'what else' is going on. Even limitedly (distorted?) what we
are concerned with. Everything is more than the everything we can imagine.

John Mikes