Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
2010/1/15 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>:

Or why not suppose you are your body (including your genes).  Then evolution
would be able to have had the imputed effect on "you" that you suppose it
does.

The actual effect of any adaptive behaviour must be through the genes,
but evolution could not work directly on a belief about genes. Our
psychology may act against our genes if we are taken out of the
environment in which we evolved; for example the number of children
people choose to have in the modern world is inversely proportional to
the resources they control.

I guess I should be more explicit. I found your post bemusingly inconsistent. You theorized that the continuity of your experience was an illusion produced by evolution and you "really" exist as a sequence of discrete OMs. But evolution is a process that acts on genes and in order to have any effect on the "real" you requires continuity, not only of your body moment-by-moment and day-by-day but of your genes over millenia. So it strikes me as very strange to invoke it as creating an *illusion* of continuity. Sort of like the Sun producing an illusion of daylight.