2010/1/15 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>:

> Or why not suppose you are your body (including your genes).  Then evolution
> would be able to have had the imputed effect on "you" that you suppose it
> does.

The actual effect of any adaptive behaviour must be through the genes,
but evolution could not work directly on a belief about genes. Our
psychology may act against our genes if we are taken out of the
environment in which we evolved; for example the number of children
people choose to have in the modern world is inversely proportional to
the resources they control.

Stathis Papaioannou