2010/1/18 silky <michaelsli...@gmail.com>:

> It would be my (naive) assumption, that this is arguably trivial to
> do. We can design a program that has a desire to 'live', as desire to
> find mates, and otherwise entertain itself. In this way, with some
> other properties, we can easily model simply pets.

Brent's reasons are valid, but I don't think making an artificial
animal is as simple as you say. Henry Markham's group are presently
trying to simulate a rat brain, and so far they have done 10,000
neurons which they are hopeful is behaving in a physiological way.
This is at huge computational expense, and they have a long way to go
before simulating a whole rat brain, and no guarantee that it will
start behaving like a rat. If it does, then they are only a few years
away from simulating a human, soon after that will come a superhuman
AI, and soon after that it's we who will have to argue that we have
feelings and are worth preserving.

--
Stathis Papaioannou