> --- On Wed, 3/3/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if you overlooked it but the key condition in my paper is that
> the inputs to the remaining brain are identical to what they would have been
> if the whole brain were present.  Thus, the neural activity in the partial
> brain is by definition identical to what would have occured in the
> corresponding part of a whole brain.  It is of course grossly implausible
> that this could be done in practice for a real biological brain (for one
> thing, you'd pretty much have to know in advance the microscopic details of
> everything that would have gone on in the removed part of the brain, or else
> guess and get incredibly lucky), but it presents no difficulties in priciple
> for a digital simulation,

The only fundamental difficulty I can see with this is if the brain
actually uses quantum computation, as suggested by some evidence that
photopsynthesis does (quoted by Bruno in another thread) - in which
case it might be impossible, even in principle, to reproduce the
activity of the rest of the brain (I'm not sure whether it would, but
it seems a lot more likely).

Charles