Dear Colin,

    Let me put you are ease, van Fraassen has sympathies with the frustrations
that you have mentioned here and I share them as well, but let's look closely
at the point that you make here as I think that it does to the heart of several
problems related to the notion of an observer.  OTOH, it seems to me that you
are suggesting that the objective view is just a form of consensus between all
of those subjective view, no? Also, the notion of a measurement is discussed in
detail in the paper. I wonder if you read far enough to see it...If we buy the
computationalist interpretation of the mind then there is nothing necessarily
special about a human brain; the discussions about computational universality
give us a good argument for that.
    First of all we need to admit that if we are to be consistent with the
mathematical prescriptions of quantum mechanics, each and every one of those
scientists and table lamps, as physical objects, have a wave function of sorts
associated with them and, assuming that they could interact, are entangled with
each other. “Being in the universe” implies to me that that there is a sharing
of context and maybe even a common basis of sorts. But is that all there is to
it? Hardly! being a table lamp, when considered from the quantum perspective is
not so simple. We cannot assume that there is any definiteness of properties in
a sharp sense. When we consider a Table Lamp or any other physical object in
isolation at best we have a superposition of possible properties, and what is
the outcome of measurement is given in terms of restrictions upon those
possibilities by the possible properties and modes of possible interaction of
all of the tables, chairs, beds, etc. that are in the room with that table lamp
and beyond. We cannot assume that what something ‘is’ is somehow invariant with
respect to changes in the interactions that it has with all of the other
objects. This is a very subtle point that need to be carefully considered.
   The notion of a Table lamp in isolation literally dissolves into nothing
when we remove all those other objects upon which its definiteness of state
persists. The conflation that has persistent for more than 2000 years is the
idea that object in themselves are what they are. I am reminded of Einstein’s
quit to Bohr that the moon would still exists if he was not looking at it. My
response to Einstein is that he is not the only one interacting with the moon.
We need to take the whole web of interactions into account when we consider the
definiteness of properties otherwise we are only considering bare existence and
that tell us nothing at all about properties.

Onward!

Stephen