On 01 Dec 2010, at 18:48, Pzomby wrote:

What if we discover 'curiositon' :)

If a ‘curiousaton’ and a beliefiton are ever discovered a biological
TOEton may not be far behind. : )

A particle of everything!
I'm afraid that for breaking it you will need an accelerator necessarily bigger than everything, making its existence ... forever undecided.

That is the reason to make distinct the duality abstract/concrete from
immaterial/material.
My mind is concrete, moments are concrete, numbers can be considered
as concrete, more generally the object of the structure are concrete,
as opposed to their possible relations.
My (human) consciousness is concrete, (even if it is immaterial and
different from my brain).
Human conciousness in general is an abstract notion.
Notions are abstract, dispositions are abstract, and concreteness will
depends on theories, current paradigm, ontological choice or reality,
etc.

Brunohttp://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/- Hide quoted text -

Your response raises a few more questions but I will state only a
couple.

I believe I follow your comments but am having trouble with the
description of human consciousness (in general) as a ‘notion’.
The
word means vague or unclear and an antonym of ‘notion’ could only be
described as a precise description or understanding of human
consciousness (even a concrete reality).

As this is more a discussion of semantics. What would be the antonym
of notion?
Abstract / Concrete, Immaterial / Material, Infinite / Finite,
Notion / ______

Notion/thing (notion is very near universal-abstract; things are usually more concrete, I would say).

Depending on your conception of "consciousness", the "notion of consciousness" might be as absurd as the "notion of milk". Usually "notion" is use for abstract objects. Like in the notion of Hilbert space, or the notion of set, the notion of prime number.
But not: the notion of 17.
Without mechanism, you will never say: the notion of Leonard de Vinci. But if you can build many "Leonard de Vinci" exemplars, you could develop a notion of "Leonard de Vinci", especially if the exemplars are slightly different. With digital mechanism, we are arguably more of the type of type than of the type of token. From inside we cannot feel this, like in Everett QM, the observer cannot feel the split.

Could human consciousness (in general) be correctly described as
being: abstract, immaterial, infinite and a notion?

Consciousness in general (or the notion of consciousness) might be qualified in some context as abstract. But my consciousness here and now is the most concrete thing I can ever conceive. Immaterial? I agree, and that is what makes Digital Mechanism (DM, or comp) very appalling. Infinite? I can think so about "cosmic consciousness", but that is an altered state of consciousness. Here on earth the experience is finite. Consciousness is related to meaning, and Tarski's theory of truth (and meaning, to simplify a bit) usually connect finite things (representations) to infinite things (the domain of the interpretation of those representations). I agree that consciousness lives near the infinite somehow, but any details on this will refer to the DM theory. The first person notions are related to infinitely many computations and number's relations, but the observers cannot feel that. They can only guess it from indirect reflexions.

Other than
“notion’, there would be no ‘more or less’ of any of the above, as in
alive or dead, on or off, up or down.  They are or they are not.

I use "notion" for "a type of (often learnable) thing". Perhaps that term should be avoided if ambiguous. I dunno.

Best,