On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  If you have 10,000 people all wear
> different colored T-Shirts and stand in an arrangement to make an
> image of Mickey Mouse as seen from the air - those people have not
> taken on any qualities of any animated character themselves. They are
> aware only of human interactions, participating in a social event.

This is a good conclusion I think.  Now if you extend it to the China brain
thought experiment, you will see that the individual neurons (or humans in
the case of the China brain) do not have the experiences of the whole.
Consider that the china brain is simulating the experiences of a person
riding a bicycle.  Which of the people pretending to be neurons will have
any idea that is the experience?  Or if the brain is simulating a pain in
the right thigh, why would any of the people simulating that pain experience
pain in their thigh?

Note that I disagree with Ned Block's conclusion regarding the China brain,
I believe it would have mental states.  (and perhaps you would too, given
that it is based on biological material)  Why should neurons be able to
interact with each other to produce consciousness, but large groups of cells
(humans) could not?

Jason