OK, well first of all let me retract any ad hominem remarks that may
have offended you. Call it a rhetorical flourish! I apologise. There
are clearly some theories which require a profound amount of dedicated
learning to understand - such as QFT. I majored in History and
Philosophy of Science and work as a programmer and a writer. I am not
a mathematician - the furthest I took it was first year uni, and I
couldn't integrate to save myself any more. Therefore if the truth of
an argument lies deep within a difficult mathematical proof, chances
are I won't be able to reach it. Then my ignorance would hardly
constitute a criticism, and so it may be with UDA and my complaint of
obscurity. On the other hand, it seems to me that ideas about the core
nature of reality can and should be presented in the clearest, most
intelligible language possible. I can't solve QFT equations, but I can
grasp the fundamental ideas of the uncertainty principle, non-
locality, wave-particle duality, decoherence and so on. I'm not
arguing for dumbed-down philosophy, but maximal clarity. Having said
that, I'm prepared to put effort in to learn something new if I have
misunderstood something.

You have misread my tone if you think it indicates bias against your
theory. I have read your paper (at least the UDA part, not the machine
interview) several times, carefully, and presented it to my (informal)
philosophy group, because I certainly find it intriguing. I'll admit
that step 8 is where I struggle - it's not well explained in the paper
yet contains the all the really sweeping and startling assertions. The
argument about passive devices activated by counterfactual changes in
the environment is opaque to me and seems devious - probably defeated
in the details of implementation like Maxwell's demon - but that is
obviously not a rebuttal. I will take a look at the additional
information you've linked to.

I can see that you are actually right in asserting that the UDA's
computations are not random, but I'm not sure that negates the core of
my objection. Actually what the UDA does is produce a bit field
containing every possible arrangement of bits. Is this not correct? I
am open to contradiction on this. If it doesn't, then it means it has
to be incapable of producing certain patterns of bits, but in
principle every possible pattern of bits must be able to be generated.
Now a machine with infinite processing power and infinite state memory
that merely generates random bit sequences would eventually also
generate every possible arrangement of bits. So the UDA and the
ultimate random generator are indistinguishable AFAICS.

I think what you are saying is that somehow this computation produces
more pattern and order than a program which simply generates all
possible arrangements of bits. Why? If I were to select at random some
algorithm from the set of all possible algorithms, it would be pretty
much noise almost all the time. *Proving* it is noise is of course
impossible, because meaning is a function of context. You've selected
out "the program emulating the Heisenberg matrix of the Milky Way",
but among all the other possible procedures will be a zillion more
that perform this operation, but also add in various other quantities
and computations that render the results useless from a physicist's
point of view. There are certainly all kinds of amazing procedures and
unfound discoveries lying deep in the UDA's repertoire of algorithms,
but only when we intelligently derive an equation by some other means
(measurements, theory, revision, testing etc) can we find out which
ones are signal and which ones noise.

>> Fine. But then we can simply dispense with the UD altogether and just
>> gather up its final results,

>This does not make any sense. A non stopping program does not output
>anything.

OK. I realised after I posted that this was wrong, actually hasty
shorthand for what I was trying to say - didn't have time for an
amendment. By 'results' I mean the machine's state. It seems that for
the UDA to work, we have to assume that the simulation has 'finished',
even though from a 3p perspective it never can. What I mean is, if the
UDA had just started running, it wouldn't have any complex
representations in its trace yet. And since the UDA exists purely
mathematically, platonically, how can it be subject to time at all? It
has no processing limitations, so any notion of time as a factor can
be disregarded. Otherwise you'd have to say that to process an
instruction takes t amount of time, and where would such a constant
come from? The time taken to compute something in the physical world
is a function of the fact that all computation we know of is bound to
the manipulation of physical substrates that are embedded in the
constraints of time, space and energy. Sequentiality in the UDA is
purely conceptual.  And because my 1-p moments could be anywhere in
the UD's record of histories, I can't speak about where the UD is up
to in its work 'now', but just have to take it as all somehow 'done',
even though it can 'never' be done. I'm granting this, even though it
is itself problematic. 'Results'  was my clumsy shorthand for the UD's
infinite record of states.

If this is a misunderstanding, I'm sure you'll point it out!

Actually I'm not sure why you have to resort to the dovetailing in the
first place. Since you grant your machine infinite computational
resources, why not grant it parallelism? Just to make it a Turing
machine? The Turing machine is just an idea, there's no reason to
think the universe (whatever the hell that is) has to be serial in its
workings.

> The existence of the UD is already a theorem of Peano
> Arithmetic.Robinson arithmetic *is* a UD.

Huh? You've inverted ontological priority completely. Any form of
arithmetic is a product of human intelligence. Just because someone
has mentally constructed a mathematics with the structure of the UD
does not instantiate a UD that actually 'runs' and creates the whole
universe! That is a vast mathematical hubris - akin to the way any
person tends to over-apply their dominant metaphors. As a writer it's
very easy to see the universe as a vast story. As a programmer, I see
algorithms everywhere. But I'm not so inflated as to think it's more
than a metaphor. I can invent my own logically consistent set of
axioms right here and now, but I wouldn't presume it was anything more
than a set of mental relations.

Oh, and :
>A  proof is only something presented as a proof. You can only say: here
>is the flaw, (in case you have found one). I guess that is what you
>did, or thought you did.

That's kind of pedantic. You know what I'm doing.

Unfortunately I don't have time to continue my response/questions now
- I'm amazed and impressed you can find the time for such detailed
concede my naivete and have my eyes opened to the revelation of UDA.
On the other hand, the intelligent naive person has some advantages
(hence the emperor's clothes reference). Whether I'm the child in the
story or merely ignorant is the question. I remain open the
discovering the latter.