Evgeniy: Hawkins may require "cause and effect" we just don't know "how
many" of those are working? We select in our known model the most likely
initiating "cause" while many others may act from the still
unknown/unknowable infinite 'complexity' background "out there" (and "in
here") as well, some with more likelihood (efficiency?) than the "one(s)"
we know of.
Whatever "happens" is entailed (maybe caused, facilitated) or a retarding
(adverse) circumstance has been eliminated (in cases of otherwise naturally
occurring events).
We may know SOME of the 'causes', not all.
(My agnostic slip showing).
JM