From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-05, 18:23:57
Subject: maudlin's paper

Hi Folks,

     I started reading the new Maudlin paper "Time and the Geometry of
the Universe". I got it and started reading. I stopped dead when I read
the following:

"Empirical considerations cannot establish the existence of such point
events, but the geometrical tools discussed herein presuppose them. It
would be pleasant to construct mathematical tools of geometrical
analysis that do not rest on this presupposition, but that is work for
another time."

     So what is the point of this paper? The author explicitly jettisons
empirical considerations. How is there any hope for falsification of
anything in it? I will continue reading but I am sad. :_(

     AH! Maybe this remark only applies to the discussion of Newtonian
Time....

--
Onward!

Stephen