On 07 Sep 2012, at 13:49, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Craig Weinberg

Although I don't follow Dawking's views on life and God,
I think his idea of "semes", which are like genes but ideas instead,
is a very good one. If the logic follows through, then
man is the semes' way of propagating itself through society.

semes? is it not the memes?

Bruno

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/7/2012
so that everything could function."
From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-06, 13:39:10
Subject: The Unprivacy of Information

(reposting from my blog)

If I抦 right, then the slogan 搃nformation wants to be free� is not just an intuition about social policy, but rather an insight into the ontological roots of information itself. To be more precise, it isn抰 that information wants to be free, it is that it can抰 want to be anything, and that ownership itself is predicated on want and familiarity. Information, by contrast, is the exact opposite of want and familiarity, it is the empty and generic syntax of strangers talking to strangers about anything.

I propose that information or data is inherently public such that it lacks the possibility of privacy. Information cannot be secret, it can only be kept a secret through voluntary participation in extra- informational social contracts. It is only the access to information that we can control - the i/o, we cannot become information or live in information or as information.*

Information spreads only as controlled changes in matter, not independently in space or non-space vacuum. Information is how stuff seems to other stuff. Computation exploits the universality of how many kinds of stuff make sense in the same basic ways. It is to make modular or 慸igital� collections of objectified changes which can be inscribed on any sufficiently controllable substance. Not live hamsters or fog. They make terrible computers.

To copyright information or to encrypt it is to discourage unauthorized control of information access. This underscores the fact that information control supervenes on (requires) capacities of perception and intent rather than the capacities of information itself. We have to be shamed or frightened or tempted into agreeing to treat information as proprietary on behalf of the proprietor抯 interests.We can抰 train information not to talk to strangers.

The data itself doesn抰 care if you publish it to the world or take credit for writing Shakespeare抯 entire catalog. This is not merely a strange property of information, this is the defining property of information in direct contradistinction to both experience and matter. I maintain however, that this doesn抰 indicate that information is a neutral monism (singular ground of being from which matter, energy, and awareness emerge), but rather it is the neutral nihilism - the shadow, if you will, of sensorimotive participation divisible by spacetime. It抯 a protocol that bridges the gaps between participants (selves, monads, agents, experiences), but it is not itself a participant. This is important because if we don抰 understand this (and we are nowhere near understanding this yet), then we will proceed to exterminate our quality of life to a hybrid of Frankenstein neuro-materialism and HAL cyberfunction-idealism.

To understand why information is really not consciousness but the evacuated forms of consciousness, consider that matter is proprietary relative to the body and experience is proprietary relative to the self, but information is proprietary to nothing. Information, if it did exist, would be nothing but the essence of a- proprietary manifestation. It has no dimension of subjectivity (privacy, ownership, selfhood) at all. It is qualitatively flat. Information as a word is a mis-attribution of what is actually, ontologically, 揻ormations to be interpreted� as code, to be unpacked, reconstituted, and reconstituted as a private experience.

*Who and what we are is sensorimotive matter (or materialized participation if you prefer卼here are a lot of fancy ways to describe it: Meta-juxtaposing afferent-efferent phenomenal realism, or private algebraic/public-geometric phenomenal realism, orthogonally involuted experiential syzygy, etc.)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/-/bymuNo_xJ2QJ .