Hi

Somebody on this list asked whether I thought the physical world
to be real while the nonphysical isn't, but my email program seems to
have eaten his email.

The answer is that it all depends on how you look at the world.

Idealists believe that only ideas are real, while the material world is
phenomenal. Not a delusion. Plato, Leibniz and Kant belonged to this faction.
The reason given by Leibniz is that Ideal world is given
by an infinite number of persistent although changing point ideas
called monads. Monads can change, but cannot either
be created or destroyed. But at the root of the physical
world you have quantum uncertainty such as Heisenberg showed,
which made Leibniz believe that only the monads are real.
By real he meant persistent.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/24/2012