On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 10/15/2012 7:33 AM, John Clark wrote:
>
> Nick Bostrum, a philosopher at Oxford University wrote an interesting
> paper on this subject:
>
>   http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html
>
> The following is from the abstract:
>
> "This paper argues that *at least one* of the following propositions is
> true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a
> “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to
> run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or
> variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer
> simulation."
>

> I'd guess they are in order of decreasing probability.

I think there is an analogous "heaven argument".   If there is a thing as
heaven, where you live forever and can remember moments of your previous
life with perfect clarity, then you almost certainly are already in heaven
and right now is one of your numerous "recollections" rather than the
original experience.

Regardless of what the probabilities for the simulation hypothesis is, its
possibility means these other extensions/continuations exist, and it they
may become probable in certain situations (e.g., near certain death).

Jason