On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:38:21 PM UTC-4, John Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012  Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote:
>
>  > What can you do with your computer that you couldn't do five years ago?
>>

> Do a good job at understanding the human voice. Beat the 2 best human
> players at Jeopardy.  Drive a car safely for many miles over very rough
> terrain. Discovering that 2^43112609 -1 ( a number with 12,978,189 digits)
> is a prime number. Improving in it's ability to play the game of "Go" from
> being routinely beaten by a child to occasionally beating professional Go
> players.

Hardly world-transforming achievements. Incremental improvements in very
limited specialized tasks, games, abstractions... The improvement of
manufacturing in the 20th century was orders of magnitude more significant.

Besides, they don't really filter down to improvements which affect what
you can do with your computer. Voice recognition is a minor cosmetic
convenience, but we've had that for 20 years in some form or other.

Craig