On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reasons of my neurons are not my personal reasons.

True. And it's also true that the letter "e" is not Shakespeare's play
"Hamlet", but its part of it.

> Neurons deal in GABA and acetylcholine. I deal in paychecks and days off.
> Different levels of description.

That is true they are different but they are both correct descriptions,
although the scales they deal with are quite different, and one is built on
top of the other; You can have GABA and acetylcholine without paychecks and
days off but unless you move to electronics you can't have paychecks and
days off without GABA and acetylcholine.

> My neurons can influence my consciousness from a sub-personal level - say
> feeling unfulfilled when I get my paycheck, but they cannot decide for me
> to get a better job.

One neuron can't do that, but 10^11 neurons with their 10^14 synapses can.

> I decide. Me.

Correct, and "I" is a high level description of what 10^11 neurons with
10^14 synapses do, just as "pressure" is a correct high level description
of how 6.02*10^23 molecules behave when they collide into the inner surface
of a closed chamber.

> My social experience

Encoded by neurons as memories.

> and and innate sensitivity

Determined by the collective state of all those neurons and synapses inside
that bone box sitting on your shoulders.

> circumscribes these acts as criminal, evil, or both,

OK.

> > I can meet someone and go into business with them. I can have an idea
> and make money from it. I can get run over by a furniture truck and collect
> an insurance settlement.

Yes but I already knew that, I already knew that sometimes collections of
neurons decide to behave in that way.

> NONE of these possibilities are realizable on the sub-personal or
> super-signifying levels.

But if I change the chemistry of some of your neurons you will decide not
to go into business with anyone because you will believe you will not make
money from it and you will also figure that it would not be a good idea to
file a insurance claim.

>Let's compare. Does your computer worry about it's job?

I don't know for sure, I don't even know if you worry about your job
because all I can observe is behavior. I do have a theory that extrapolates
consciousness and emotion from behavior and I think it's a pretty good
theory but it's not proven and never will be, so I just do the best I can.

> Does it get a feeling one way or another if it receives more or less
> volts?

I don't know for sure, I don't even know if you get a feeling one way or
another if you receive a electric shock because all I can observe is
behavior. I do have a theory that extrapolates consciousness and emotion
from behavior and I think it's a pretty good theory but it's not proven and
never will be, so I just do the best I can.

  John K Clark