On 11/3/2012 1:30 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>> wrote:

    Dear Bruno,

        No, that cannot be the case since statements do not even exist
    if the framework or theory that defines them does not exist,
    therefore there is not 'truth' for a non-exitence entity.

Stephen, in your philosophy do you believe the Milky way existed before there was life to see it?

Hi Jason,

Why are you assuming that life has a small set of possible instances? I see life as a very broad spectrum. In my thinking, instances life occurs when ever an entropy flow <http://webpages.charter.net/stephenk1/Outlaw/life.html> can be harnessed to sustain autopoiesis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autopoiesis>.

 Can things not happen or be true in the absence of observers?

No, there is no meaning to "things" or "true" in the absence of observers, as they are properties that observers agree upon.

Can a universe devoid of internal observers be said to exist?

    Yes. Existence is not dependent or contingent.

 If so, in what sense would you say it exists?

    It is a necessary possibility thus it exists.

--
Onward!

Stephen