From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-04, 12:51:59
Subject: Re: On the ontological status of elementary arithmetic

On 03 Nov 2012, at 19:27, Stephen P. King wrote:

> On 11/3/2012 8:38 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
>> Hi Stephen P. King
>>
>> Bertrand Russell was a superb logician but he was not
>> infallible with regard to metaphysics. He called Leibniz's
>> metaphysics "an enchanted land" and confessed that
>> he hadn't a clue to what the meaning of pragmatism is.
>>

> Hi Roger,
>
> Yeah, his star fell today, for me.

Why. because he was wrong? But all serious people are wrong. To be
wrong is a chance, and to be shown wrong is an even bigger chance.

Russell was not annoyed by that, because his platonist intuition was
preserved. he just learned that reason needed to learn modesty with
respect to truth seeking, even on arithmetic and machine.