On Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:19:51 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

> The final solution -> How comp could work in the brain
>
> Peirce is known to have borrowed some ideas from Locke,
> the most likely one being Locke's philosophy of mind,
> namely that the mind is a blank slate and that all knowledge
> is obtained through the senses.
>
> Comp could in fact provide such sensory signals if the
> numbers of comp are converted to analog form signals
> and interfaced to the brain. Presumably this is how
> digital implants work.

But nothing can convert 'numbers' into sensory signals, and if it could, we
wouldn't need comp. In order to get sensory signals out of our computer, we
need a specially constructed screen which stimulates our human eyes. The
screen itself needs electronic signals from actual semiconductor chips
which are plugged into an electrical power source. If numbers could be
converted directly, then all of this would be unnecessary. We could use
empty space as a computer, or a computer that is powered off. Transistors
should be able to find memory addresses without electric power, just by
converting them into signals.

> So in principle comp could work.

It could work, but not in the universe that we actually live in.

>  A possibly workable scheme would begin with
> comp forming signs or  representations in the brain
> with electrical signals. Then what ?

Then you already have consciousness. You are looking for a bridge from
function to substance to consciousness when consciousness already is the
capacity to experience functions and substance.

Craigh