On 12/14/2012 6:16 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
It is in the nature of outer messages that they are not conveyed in any explicit language. To find an explicit language in which to convey outer messages would not be a breakthrough— it would be a contradiction in terms!

But from the outside we can determine when a message is passed by observing actions. This is how we've come to understand some of the language of animals. The 'outer messages' are not explicit language because they are implicit in actions. We tend to forget this because humans do so much internal thinking in language relative to their actions - but ultimately meaning is grounded in relations to the world. Because other humans are such a big part of our world and we mainly interact with them by language, we start to think of meaning and language as existing in a separate world.