On 18 Dec 2012, at 07:28, Jason Resch wrote:

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 5:54 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au > wrote:

----- Forwarded message from Russell Standish <hpco...@hpcoders.com.au> -----

Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:18:59 +1000
From: Russell Standish <hpco...@hpcoders.com.au>
To: Ricardo Aler <a...@inf.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: Theory of Nothing

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:53:53AM +0200, Ricardo Aler wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>

> Yes. However, you are trying to derive QM from first principles, so
> it's a little unfair to use experimental results as well :). Also,

No - first principles would say complex measure is more likely than a
real measure. All the experimental results say is that there is no
need to go looking for an extra principle to impose a real measure.

> when counting the number of observers, it seems more natural to use a
> real measure.

Not much of a reason...

> But it would be wonderful if it could be shown that the existence of
> life requires complex measures (which is very likely true).

Its the other way around - the existence of life does not require a
real measure.

Hope no one minds me reviving an old thread. Doesn't interference play a crucial role in preventing electrons from falling into the nucleus? I believe I have heard that somewhere but I don't remember where and I am not sure of its veracity. If it is true, it seems to me that would provide an anthropic reason for ruling out real measure.

It is true in the sense of the wave verifying E = hv. It quantized energy and create the orbitals, which are are the stationarry wave corresponding to the level of energy. But this is trivial from the anthropic pov, as that is whay we introduce wave at the start. But yes, the data prevents a "real" mesure, we need a complex wave and a real probability.

Bruno

Jason